About Me

My photo
California, United States
Lover of art, music, and literature. Avid collector of memories and good times.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I just found out that one of my favorite bands, Armor For Sleep, broke up a week ago.
I read this while listening to them, too-how ironic.

"What To Do When You Are Dead", their sophomore album, is one of the best concept albums-one of the best albums period-thatI've ever heard. It's powerful, poignant, and beautifully done. It's a story about a man, and what happens after he dies. The first song is his suicide, and the thoughts and emotions that run through his mind. The second song is his realization that the afterlife isn't what he expected; he can't outrun his pain like he expected to. The rest of the album follows him as he follows the woman he loves; she can neither see nor hear his ghost, but talks to him. He first is comforted by the fact that she still loves him, then despairs in the fact that she'll one day move on. One of the most powerful points in the album is when he says he'll be around her, just keeping watch over her, until she dies: "About 50 years left of this waiting around."

That gives me chills. He loves this girl so much that he'll dutifully follow her, despite the new men that will come into her life, despite the fact that her love will eventually fade, until she's gone. He won't move on to whatever comes after this, because it's not right without her. "I came down here to tell you: It rains in Heaven all day long. I wanna find you so bad, and let you know I'm miserable up here without you."

When I just sit and listen to this album in its entirety, I cry. Not always, but it's happened on several occasions. It's made me realize two things: 1) I hope and pray that I'll be lucky enough to find someone who loves me that much, and 2) If & when I lose my significant other to death, I will never again be able to listen to any of these songs. Ever. They're that powerful, and I would be so scared of them being there in spirit and not being able to hear them.

It's a beautiful work of art, and has been on my favorites list ever since I bought it four years ago.

So, in closing, thank you, Armor For Sleep, for the amazing music. I will miss you, but at least you've left something great for us to remember you guys. <3333

No comments:

Post a Comment